Monday, August 31, 2009

UFC 102 Results

Missed the event on Saturday - I was busy getting wine spilled on me at a wedding...

Looks like I missed an entertaining one. Let's see how my predictions went:

Randy Couture Vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (heavyweight) - Sounds like this one lived up to the hype and then some. It appears Couture avoided a gauntlet of submissions to make it to the decision, but the judging wasn't really in doubt. Nog knocked The Natural down a couple of times, which was probably all the difference he needed. I'm a bit surprised that Nogueira got the better of the stand up. I hope they show this fight on UFC Unleashed soon. (0-1)

Keith Jardine Vs. Thiago Silva (light heavyweight) - Got this one right on, pretty much. Silva knocked out Jardine pretty quickly - a story we've seen from Jardine before. Let's hope this is the end of the Jardine title shot talk for a while. He really needs to develop a better arsenal. Being "unorthodox" only gets you so far. (1-1)

Chris Leben Vs. Jake Rosholt (middleweight) - What happened here? I hear Leben was winning the fight but got choked out in the third. Oops. (1-2)

Nate Marquardt Vs. Demian Maia (middleweight) - Wow. This was short-lived. I thought this could be fight of the night, but it was over before it started. Highlight reel finish puts a mark on Maia's record and puts Marquardt back in the title hunt. (2-2)

Brandon Vera Vs. Krzysztof Soszynski (light heavyweight) - I anticipated a better fight. I hear this one drew boos and was one of the few fights to go the distance. Apparently Soszynski did alright in his first fight against "top" competition. Let's hope he can learn from it and put something together for his next fight. Vera isn't making lots of friends these days with boring fights and lacklustre performances. I didn't see this one, but if you're drawing boos, you're drawing the ire of Dana White. (2-3)

Ed Herman Vs. Aaron Simpson (middleweight) - This one almost doesn't count because the fight ended on an injury to Herman. That's too bad 'cause it was a homecoming of sorts and no one likes to see a fight end like this. (2-4)

Gabriel Gonzaga Vs. Chris Tuchscherer (heavyweight) - I picked the newcomer in this one, but he didn't get the job done. (2-5)

Justin McCully Vs. Mike Russow (heavyweight) – The newcomer delivered in this one. I still don't know what Russow can do, though. (3-5)

Tim Hague Vs. Todd Duffee (heavyweight) – Yikes. 8 seconds? Yikes. Dunno if Hague will be invited back. Too bad. (3-6)

Nick Catone Vs. Mark Munoz (middleweight) – Sounds like this was a close decision, but Munoz pulled off the victory in the lighter weight class. (4-6)

Marcus Aurelio Vs. Evan Dunham (lightweight) – Fluked this one, too. No idea what this Dunham kid is like. (5-6)

Another event with a losing record. Ugh. But, like I said, the Herman fight ought not to count, really, and If I were picking with my head instead of my heart I'd have probably gone 8-3.

No comments: