Thursday, August 13, 2009

Strikeforce - Carano vs Cyborg

This Saturday features a head-to-head match-up between the UFC and Strikeforce... kinda.

Strikeforce, the upstart MMA promotion, will be holding a live event while the UFC counters with a free presentation of some of the UFC 100 fights.


I live in Toronto, so the only way for me to get Strikeforce is on Super Channel (I think), which I don't get (I get, like 500 channels - but not that). So I probably don't have too much of a choice - I can catch the event at some bar (maybe - I don't know any that are showing it) or stay at home and watch a UFC event I've already seen for the most part. I'll see what I can do, but odds are I won't be able to catch the Strikeforce event and I'll be more than happy to catch a couple of fights I missed from UFC 100 (Bonnar-Coleman, Jones-O'Brien) on my TiVo.


I wanted to check out the Strikeforce card, though, so I looked up their website, which is pretty basic next to the UFC's. One of the things I like about the UFC site is the event breakdown with photos, record, weight, height and links to the fighter's profile. The Strikeforce event page is pretty sparse with no direct link to the fighters embedded. Strikeforce would do well to improve their look and get greater free exposure up north. The UFC has learned that Canadian fans are rabid about MMA.


I don't know many of the fighters on the card, so I won't bother picking winners. I'll say this: Strikeforce lives and breathes via "the face of women's MMA" - Gina Carano. They have now acquired another big name - Fedor Emelianenko. The Carano-Cyborg fight is one fans have wanted to see for a long time, but be careful what you wish for. Cyborg is the bigger lady and Carano is talented but not flawless (at least in her fighting style). I would be surprised if Cyborg didn't kick her ass - which may kill the golden goose, much like Kimbo's big loss was the death knell for EliteXC. Fortunately, Strikeforce has Fedor as a back-up, but imagine what would happen to the organization if Gina and Fedor both lost within the year. Fedor will be fighting meatheads, but it could happen. No one gave Seth Petruzelli a chance against Kimbo, either.


Here's the Strikeforce card:


MAIN CARD (BEGINNING AT 7:30PM):


Gina “Conviction” Carano (7-0) vs. Cris “Cyborg” (7-1) – 145lb Female Championship


Renato "Babalu" Sobral (35-8) vs. Gegard Mousasi (25-2-1) - Light Heavyweight Championship


Gilbert “El Nino” Melendez (15-2) vs. Mitsuhiro Ishida (18-5-1) – Lightweight Interim Championship


Jay "The Thoroughbred" Hieron (17-4) vs. Jesse "JT Money" Taylor (13-3)


UNDERCARD (BEGINNING AT APPROXIMATELY 5:30 PM)


Mike "Mak" Kyle (12-6-1) vs. Fabricio "Vai Cavalo" Werdum (11-4-1)


Scott Lighty (4-0) vs. Mike Cook (7-4)


David "Tarzan" Douglas (4-1) vs. Justin "The Silverback" Wilcox (5-3)


James Terry (6-1) vs. Zac Bucia (2-3)


Isaiah Hill (4-6) vs. Alex Trevino (3-0)

No comments: