Wednesday, August 25, 2010

UFC 118 Picks

UFC 118 promises to be interesting if not comical. It features the return match between BJ Penn and the man who (shockingly) took his title, Frankie Edgar – but it also features a ridiculous match-up between hall of famer Randy Couture and boxing legend James Toney.

Whatever.

Let’s get to the picks:

Frankie Edgar vs BJ Penn (lightweight)

I was shocked when Edgar got the nod the first time. Sure, he got a takedown or two, but overall I thought Penn won the boxing match-up, despite Edgar being more active. Add in the fact that Penn was the champ and I thought for sure he’d get the decision. Now we’ll see the real contest. Penn won’t take Edgar lightly and he’ll be hungrier than in their first meeting. I’m not sure what Penn can do differently other than use his jab more effectively to keep Edgar at a distance and maybe score a knockdown or two. Edgar has the tools to beat Penn, but I just don’t see it happening this time. I’m picking Penn.

Randy Couture vs James Toney (heavyweight)

How does this fight get sanctioned? I thought the gaming commission would have to agree that the fighters are evenly matched and of similar experience. Experience in a boxing ring is not experience in a cage. Couture ought to win this fight in under a minute and by submission. Of course there’s always the possibility that Toney will crack Couture in the jaw before the Natural can take him down. There’s no way Toney makes it beyond the second round before completely gassing out, so, barring that first punch knockout, I’m picking Couture.

Demian Maia vs Mario Miranda (middleweight)

Mario who? How did this guy earn a fight against a top contender? Well, he has a nice record, for one, but is 1-1 in the UFC, losing to Gerald Harris by TKO but then turning the tables on David Loiseau. I like Loiseau but he’s not exactly a top guy. So is this meant to be a rebound fight for Maia so he can get back on track toward a title shot? Who knows what Joe Silva is thinking (see Toney fight). Miranda has power, but Maia is a ground god. I’m still gonna pick Maia.

Kenny Florian vs Gray Maynard (lightweight)

This is the fight I want to see. This will likely determine who gets the next title shot. I like both of these guys, but it’s Maynard’s time. KenFlo has had his chances and Maynard already has a win over champ Frankie Edgar (which is why he should have had first crack and Penn should have had to win one before getting a rematch – like most deposed champs do). A win by Florian makes the division messy; does he get a THIRD shot? I’m gonna be pulling for Maynard.

Nate Diaz vs Marcus Davis (welterweight)

Still not sure what Diaz is doing at welterweight. He ought to drop back down and take his chances against the lightweights. I can’t see him going very far at welterweight where the fighters are bigger and smarter. That said, Marcus Davis is almost tailor-made for Diaz. Davis is a boxer who has decent but not spectacular ground skills. If the fight goes to the ground, Diaz ought to be able to submit the Irish Hand Grenade. On the feet, Diaz will have a reach advantage and might be able to keep Davis from landing anything too devastating. As we’ve seen with Ben Saunders and Mike Swick, Davis does not do well against taller opponents. I don’t like his chances here. I like Davis and Diaz is a bit of a douche, but my brain tells me to go with Diaz.

Joe Lauzon vs Gabe Ruediger (lightweight)

WTF? What is Ruediger doing back in the UFC? The guy drops out of the Ultimate Fighter for not making weight, gets schooled in the octagon when he does get the chance and somehow he gets a fight against the talented Joe Lauzon? I guess winning 6 fights in a row (and a title) against nobodies will do that for you. Still, Lauzon ought to walk through this guy unless he has re-invented himself. I’m picking Lauzon.

Andre Winner vs Nik Lentz (lightweight)

Night of the lightweights, I guess. Both of these guys tend to go to decision. Lentz has faced and beaten tougher competition, though. Winner is decent, but I think he might lack some seasoning. I’m picking Lentz.

Dan Miller vs John Salter (middleweight)

Dan Miller on the undercard? Not getting a lot of respect. Sure, he’s lost three in a row, but two were against guys who then fought for the title and one was against UFC darling Michael Bisping who is certainly being groomed for an eventual title shot. (and all three were decisions) He’s a talented guy. Salter has a nice record, but one win was over Jason MacDonald due to injury, which ought to not count in my books. I’m betting Miller’s experience proves the difference. I’m picking Miller.

Nick Osipczak vs Greg Soto (welterweight)

Both of these guys have decent records for newbies, and both have fought Matt Riddle. Osipczak won by TKO while Soto was DQ’d for an illegal upkick. I don’t know Soto very well, and I like Nick so I’ll pick Osipczak.

Mike Pierce vs Amilcar Alves (welterweight)

Alves doesn’t have a pic up on the UFC page, which is never a good sign. He has a great record though and finishes guys off fast, usually by submission. Pierce is a wrestler and tends to win by decision; he’s also had some tough opponents in the UFC. He has the experience edge, for sure. Can the wrestler smother the jiu-jitsu practitioner or can the Brazilian get the submission? I’m gonna go with the upset and pick Alves.


Let's hope I actually get to SEE this one...

No comments: