Wednesday, August 11, 2010

UFC 117 Results

Yup. It lived up to the hype. Damn, 'cause I missed it. Caught some fights on the interwebs after, but it's not the same. My social life is killing me!

Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen
(middleweight)
I cannot BELIEVE Sonnen blew this. He was kicking Silva's ass for 23 minutes and then gets caught with a punch to the face and a triangle choke? Are you kidding me? Dude. The f**k? I don't care if Silva had rib issues. That doesn't explain getting punched and knocked down. It doesn't explain getting taken down with double legs repeatedly. Styles make fights and I've long said the style to beat Silva is wrestling. Sonnen had all the tools but had a brain fart and kissed it away. (1-0)

Jon Fitch vs Thiago Alves II (welterweight)
Fitch proved once again that he's a level above Alves. After the long lay off, Alves wasn't ready or qualified to take a #1 contender's fight. (2-0)

Clay Guida vs Rafael Dos Anjos (lightweight)
Too bad Dos Anjos broke his jaw. Still, it looked like Guida was in control. (3-0)

Matt Hughes vs Ricardo Almeida (welterweight)
Hughes caught Almeida with a nice punch and Almeida couldn't recover. Otherwise, no way he gets submitted by Hughes. Too bad it didn't last longer. It didn't really answer any of the questions going in. (3-1)

Roy Nelson vs Junior Dos Santos (heavyweight)
I said Dos Santos would need to box his way to a decision and he did. Nelson took some serious shots and held his own against a recognized contender. I picked the upset, but it didn't quite pan out. (3-2)

Dustin Hazelett vs Rick Story (welterweight)
Story has been looking good. Too bad for Hazelett. (4-2)

Phil Davis vs Rodney Wallace (light heavyweight)
Davis is awesome. Too bad I missed it. (5-2)

Tim Boetsch vs Todd Brown (heavyweight)
Picking the Canadian paid off for once - besides GSP, of course. (6-2)

Johny Hendricks vs Charlie Brenneman (welterweight)
Missed it. Hendricks needs some tougher opponents. (7-2)

Stefan Struve vs Christian Morecraft (heavyweight)
Struve was in trouble until Morecraft decided to get into a jab fest with a guy with crazy long arms. Bad idea. (8-2)

Wow: 8-2. Not bad at all. Had I gone with the favourites in those two matches I would have had the perfect night. Bring on the next PPV! (and let's hope I get to see it!!)

No comments: