Thursday, September 17, 2009

UFC Fight Night results

Ok let's see...

Nate Diaz def. Melvin Guillard (Sub 2) - I had this one pretty much figured. Guillard gave Diaz fits at first with his power, but got cocky. What a moron. He started off playing it smart, even when he was taken down, but clearly got away from the game plan when he tried a silly possum game and missed, stumbling into Diaz's guard and the easy finish. You'd think a guy with that many fights would be smarter. Guillard's a buffoon. (1-0)

Gray Maynard def. Roger Huerta (split) – I had this one 29-28 Maynard, but apparently two judges wanted to run Huerta out of the UFC as emphatically as possible and didn't give him a single round. Good fight, though. (2-0)

Carlos Condit def. Jake Ellenberger (split) – I was surprised this was split. Condit got smashed in the first round, but I thought he clearly won the next two. Still, I wasn't very impressed with him and don't expect him to get far in the UFC. (3-0)

Nate Quarry def. Tim Credeur (unanimous) - Fight of the night. These two guys laid into each other. I was surprised by Credeur's stand-up and I bet Quarry was, too. Quarry demontrated he had superior power, though, and that made the difference. He still has to work on passing guard. (4-0)

UNDERCARD:

Brian Stann def. Steve Cantwell (unanimous) – Another decision. I thought Cantwell might get a submission, but since it went the distance, it isn't surprising that Stann got the nod. (4-1)

Mike Pyle def. Chris Wilson (sub 3) – I guess I picked Wilson. Oops. Should have known not to bet against a guy who trains with Griffin and Maynard. (4-2)

CB Dollaway def. Jay Silva (unanimous) – Ugh. Oh well, didn't get my wish. I knew the odds were long. Dollaway won and may stick around. Yay. (4-3)

Jeremy Stephens def. Justin Buchholz (TKO 1) – Stephens will stick around for a while after this, I guess. Like I said, Buchholz's fights don't last, one way or the other. He may be on his way out. (4-4)

Mike Pierce def. Brock Larson (unanimous) – This was a shocker. Gotta see this. Yet another decision. Might have been a very boring fight for those in attendance. (4-5)

Ryan Jensen def. Steve Steinbeiss (TKO 1) – Finally got one right on the undercard. Geez. (5-5)

Sam Stout vs. Phillipe Nover didn't happen because Nover suffered some sort of seizure before the fight. Bummer. Hope he's alright, but he needs to get that checked out and fixed. That's twice now.

So, perfect (4-0) on the main card and a disgusting 1-5 on the undercard. Well, at least I can pick the big boys right.

UFC 103 picks tomorrow!

No comments: